Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

After 52 hours without power (give or take a bit), we're back up and running.

There's quite a bit of wind damage around here, but it's getting cleaned up fairly quickly. Mark and Ruby lost some tree branches, shingles and two big fish in their little pond. We had one big branch fall over at the new house, but no damage otherwise.

The most devastating loss was Ron and Paula's. (That's Ron and Paula who were in our wedding.) Paula's nephew Tommy and his wife Stephanie were participating in a motorcycle event at a state park. As they were leaving (the event was cancelled due to the high winds), a tree fell and killed both of them. They are survived by a six month old daughter. I get upset every time I think about the whole thing. More here.

I'm ashamed to say that Doug and I haven't written a will yet. The tragedy has pushed that to the top of our list.

There's no good way to transition from that to other stuff. Sorry.

We spent our no electricity days doing some of this,

And some of that.


Doug and Ruby arrived home yesterday. All of our stuff is in two containers somewhere in transit. We close on the house on Friday, and our stuff is set to arrive starting Monday. It looks like life might get back to normal sometime soon.

2 comments:

Lea said...

OMG. I am so sorry for your friend's loss and their little one. What a random, tragic thing.

I'm glad your stuff is on it's way! Hope you guys get settled soon. You are almost there!

That Harper, she's a cute one. ;) I think her hair is so awesome right now! That last picture of her sleeping...so sweet.

Rosemarie said...

I am so sorry. That news article made me cry. I will be moving the Will thing to the top of my to-do list as well. We've been procrastinating.

Picture number 2...Harper is snarling like I remember Doug doing at a few GLs. :)