Friday, February 27, 2009

Rotten Banana Syndrome

This post could also be named "Moldy Bread" or "Drop of Milk" or "Lonely Cookie" Syndrome.

When I was growing up, we all liked bananas that were still pretty green. Well, at least that's the way I remember it. Once the first brown speck showed up on those bananas, we turned our nose up at them. Those bananas were only good for banana nut bread or the trash.

But this little syndrome manifested itself in other ways around the kitchen. There was often just one last piece of bread left in the bag to molder because no one wanted to eat their sandwich with one regular piece of bread and one heel. And sometimes one little quarter inch of milk left in the jug. Or one last cookie that just sat there in the jar looking forlorn. (I have no idea how this could happen... or maybe I do... read on.) These little bits of leftover, untouched, unwanted food were one of my dad's pet peeves. Right up there with putting too much ketchup on our plates and then not using it all.

So why in the world am I thinking about this today? Well, strangely, it's a Cadbury Creme Egg's fault. Cadbury Creme Eggs are one of my favorite things. I remember being introduced to them by my classmate Natalie. Every once in a while, we'd go into Tice Drugstore where I think her mom worked. (Amazing how the memories get foggier the older I get.) One miraculous day, Natalie introduced me to the one, the only... Cadbury Creme Egg. I've been addicted ever since.

Well, the other day at the grocery store, I bought a pack of four Cadbury Creme Eggs. I ate the first one within minutes of getting home from the store. Then I waited a few days and had another. And another few days for the third one. And then... the fourth one just sat there. And sat. And sat.

Why in the world would my favorite little egg just sit there? Well, I blame the banana. My egg isn't rotten or even blemished in the tiniest way, but somehow, someway, there's a mental block when it comes to eating the last one of anything in time for it to still be good.

Maybe in my egg's case it's because I want to save it for a rainy day. This, however, has been a behavior responsible for many a tasty treat going stale. Everyone who knows Cadbury Creme Eggs knows that they're best when they're fresh. All gooey and delicious. If they sit for too long they get harder on the inside, and they're just not the same anymore.

"But it's the last one", my brain cries! "You can't eat it! There won't be any more!"

And so it sits. Damn bananas.

P.S. I know that everyone doesn't have the same problem that I do because if my husband saw the last Cadbury Creme Egg/cookie/piece of anything he determined to be yummy sitting there, it would be GONE. (Sorry for calling you out honey, but you're the only example I have.)

7 comments:

Lea said...

I never really thought about this, but you're right! I do the same thing. Maybe we don't want to go to the store to replace it. :)

Momma Mary said...

Saturday is Open That Bottle Day (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101140384) - so maybe its also Eat That Cadbury Egg Day! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...your memories of the bananas/milk/cookies/bread are exactly the way that I remember them too!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Now that you buy your own bananas you should be able to buy the right number so there is not one left.

BlueRidgeLady said...

LOL Anonymous!!! Oh what a funny story!!! I never like to drink the last sip of whatever I'm drinking in a bottle or can, I have no idea why. Now I am puzzled about where the cadbury egg went that you didn't eat?

I love them too!!!

Shelly said...

The egg is still sitting there, Shelly! I don't think I'll be able to eat it until I buy more at the store today. Then the last one of THOSE eggs will just sit. {Sigh.} :)

Shelly said...

P.S. to Anonymous: Yes, I buy my own bananas now, but now I leave TWO of them there to rot once a single spot appears because I figure I need TWO for banana bread! I guess this will only work if I only buy one banana at a time.